Tuesday, June 27, 2017

John Augustus Krause

My most recent obsession for research has been John Augustus Krause, my great great grandfather.  According to records I have been able to find, he was born in Germany around 1814 and emmigrated to America sometime before his marriage to Mary Ann Easter around 1848.  I have been unable to find out anything about when or how he died.

Mary Ann's tombstone is engraved with "Wife of Capt. J. A. Krause".  I am leaning towards the possibility that he died as sea, as he captained at least 3 schooners that traveled between Washington, North Carolina and New York City.

According to the Shipping and Commercial List and New York Price Current (New York, New York) publication that I have searched through at GenealogyBank.com, he was captain of the following three schooners:


Schooner Elizabeth Ann, October 1850 to October 1853
Schooner Mary E. Hoover February 1854 to March 1855
Schooner Oregon August 1856 to April 1861

All three were based out of Washington, North Carolina.  It appears he spend a LOT of time at sea.  I can find no mention of him after 1861.  The next mention of him is when Mary Ann filed for a Civil War pension in his name in 1890, at which time she was a widow.

No comments:

Post a Comment